Types of Asbestos
Asbestos is a generic term used to describe a group of naturally occurring fibrous silicate minerals that are widely distributed in rocks and deposits throughout the world. Asbestos fibres occur in veins in certain rock types, from these types the mineral products were manufactured. They are mainly identified as two categories friable asbestos and non-friable asbestos.
TDA are qualified to extract both types of asbestos with the professionalism to undertake tasks such as identification, monitoring and removal.
Here is a brief summary of the types of products that have contained asbestos:
- Thermal and acoustic insulation spray coating (as fire protection) asbestos reinforced insulation board, asbestos reinforced cement products and plastic products (e.g. vinyl floor tiles)
- Textiles friction materials (brake pads etc) Gaskets and packing materials, roofing felts etc.
- Corrugated asbestos roof sheeting
- Bathroom internal sheeting
- Bonded asbestos external sheeting
- Bonded asbestos internal sheeting
- Friable asbestos sheeting
- Fencing – Post and bracket style, sheeting above ground
- Fencing – Self-supporting sheet style, bottom of sheet buried in ground
- Vinyl floor tiles – non-asbestos adhesive
- Vinyl floor tiles – asbestos adhesive
- Sheet vinyl with asbestos backing